Thursday, April 30, 2009

This will all make sense in a moment... bare with me here.


If you've been reading for a while you will remember that I mentioned a recent weight gain... I had been pondering "What am I doing different?" and the only thing I could come up with is sweet tea. I am an original northerner... we don't drink sweet tea. You can verify that by walking into any restaurant and asking for sweet tea, they will bring you unsweet and packets of sugar.

When I got sick and was in the hospital for my kidney stone, I was told to lay off the soda... so since my husband is a sweet tea lover and I didn't want to make 2 separate pots I started drinking his sweet tea... Big giant 32 oz tumblers several times a day...

So I was watching something on TV and is said that there are about 200-250 calories per 16 oz of sweet tea....

So I start thinking... the average calorie requirement per day is 2000 calories (roughly) and if I drink 3 of my giant tumblers of sweet tea that puts me at 1500 calories and I have maybe 500 calories to spare... Hmmm....

So yesterday while my husband was making coffee at 4:15 am he, for whatever reason, put the coffee filter and grinds in the sink... yes, the sink. I called him after work cuz, well, it ticked me off! He swears he has no recollection of the event and that he was still asleep. When he got home from work, he had a candy bar and a note that said "Sorry :-)" So while I was indulging in my treat I looked to see how much damage I had done my enjoying such a delightful chocolate bar and I realized that that candy bar had 230 calories. 230 calories? So my 3 giant glasses of sweet tea would be the same as eating 6 candy bars a day. That is absurd! No one would be so self destructive as to eat 6 candy bars a day.

So, I have retired the sweet tea, I have one diet soda a day and once it's gone, it's water for the rest of the day...

3 comments:

  1. Go back to your unsweet tea, I couldn't live without mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a dietCokealoholic myself !!!
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had sweet tea. I'm not a tea drinker at all or coffee. But....I have become a pop addict again. I need to stop, but they don't make water with vanilla! :)

    ReplyDelete