Friday, August 28, 2009

not a good planner...

I have a friend that we'll call Janet, well that is her name! Janet is a dear and wonderful woman who... well... She commits to everything, and follows through with nothing.
I have been invited over to her house at least 6 times in the past year and she has canceled each one. She drug me to church to join a small group, and then 3 months in to it, quit coming.
I personally don't mind a single one of these things, because I stopped holding much weight to her commitments, but then she made a commitment to my daughter. She said she would bring her girls over to swim with my daughter and backed out. In an attempt to comfort my daughters sadness and dissappointment, I explained to her that Janet is not a good planner. She wants to do alot of things, but can't and then has to cancel.

So last night was Open house to the elementary school. I found a display of writings that the kids had done where each line started with:
I see...
I hear...
I pretend...
I think...
I understand...

Little P wrote "I understand that my mom's friend Janet is not a good planner"

I laughed to hard, I was in tears....

4 comments:

  1. Oh too funny! I hope Janet doesn't see it or won't care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see that your daughter was listening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your daughter is a quick study.

    Can I just add, that I have a friend just like Janet. And this drives me crazy. After putting up with this for years, I find myself now pulling away from her. Not that she would notice. But, I'm also less willing to go out of my way to continue being a part of a monthly group we belong to. No longer am I going to bend over backward to make sure I can make our committment. If I can't make it easily, I'm not going to think twice about canceling. Of course, I would never back out at the last minute, but I'm not going to rearrange my schedule to make it work. I'm done! (Sorry for venting. Your post obviously hit a nerve).

    ReplyDelete