Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Cabin

I mentioned in a previous post that we were building a cabin... in the woods behind out house... First we had to clear out a section of wood were the trees were younger and was kinda flat... I live in the foothills of the Smokey Mountians so the term FLAT is relative... Hubby removed all the large logs and bushes adn rode John Deere in... where he chopped and chewed poison ivy and covered himself in it.

See, it's not far from the house... Just far enough for a little privacy...

I guess I forgot to take a picture when we just had the floor down and then the walls, probably cuz I was doing hard work and sweaty... We made the trusses ourself...

Ok all the trusses are up... We should have had a video of that fiasco... Hubby on a ladder, we wedging a 2x4x12 between the braces, hoisting it up in the air, while hubby grabbed an end and put it in the bracket and screwed it in before my arms completely gave out... One wall goes up... woot woot!

So this past summer when hubby and I went to Ohio I saw these old oak planks that were weathered and worn sitting in her garage... I ask hubby to beg for them, they had been sitting forever, and shes a borderline hoarder... So hubby brought is totally awesome wood home for me... Doesn't it make it look all rustic, as though the barn has been here for 50 years!
We salvaged a door from a remodel, along with a window and siding (for the back, we didn't have enough wood for the whole thing) We don't have a window for the window up stairs so we have to hang a tarp for now
Found a great futon on craigslist.org for 30 bucks, and then went to Lowe's and got a HUGE piece of carpet (beccause it was the end) for 8 DOLLARS!
Hubby built stairs up to the loft...
Ok, not the greatest picture, but we put two layers of padding, and then carpet, and the loft area is about 6'x 10' plenty of room!

The loft.

Preteen A asked to sleep out there, alone, then changed her mind and asked Little P to go with her... I wonder how long they will last??? It's 9 now and they are heading out soon... my guess, they'll be back by 11...
We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed. I've always wanted a second home, but it never occurred to me to build one myself. Brilliant! Looks like your family will have tons of fun out there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete